RETURN TO AMERICA'S FINEST MAIN PAGE
Three years after opening their practice in an old bank building, Drs. Colton and Katie Wicks had the opportunity to expand into the building next door. Tin ceilings and exposed brick and plaster blend beautifully with industrial-style finishes and comfortable furniture to make a truly modern space. “We try to provide an atmosphere that we would appreciate if we were buying glasses,” Colton says. “People in rural areas shouldn’t be condemned to cramped, outdated opticals!”
5 COOL THINGS ABOUT Paris Optical1. Preserving history: Downtown Paris, TX, burned in 1916. A new archway between Paris Optical’s existing space and the new one includes some burned bricks unearthed during the renovation. “We left the soot and natural character on the bricks and sealed it to showcase the history,” Katie says.
2. Partner up: In addition to working with a local craftsman on the custom stainless steel frame rods, Paris Optical hired Eye Designs to source the updated furniture and to Lum Retail Lighting Group to help bring out frames’ true colors and details.
3. Welcome mat: Paris Optical took advantage of their town’s monthly after-hours First Thursday to hold a grand opening for the expanded space. The event included giveaways, appetizers and a wine tasting by Carriage House, another classy local business that sells everything from jewelry and antiques to craft beer.
4. On the square: Paris Optical is a striking presence on the historic town square. Everything used to be in the old American National Bank Building (with an eye-catching eagle on its facade), where the doctors now do exams. The new space has windows that let in a lot of natural light.
5. Smart choices: “The exposed brick walls evoke a sense of history and serves as a decor, while the white stucco partial covering ultimately modernizes the space. It’s so chic,” says judge Onega Astaltsova, who also likes the “extremely smart choice of lighting styles like yarn balls, canisters and tracks.”
PHOTO GALLERY / Paris Optical
Latest America's Finest Features
- California Optical Duo Achieves a Better Work-Life Balance With Double Locations
- Minnesota Optician Creates a Destination Boutique Unlike Any Other
- Less is Much, Much More for This Texas Optical Institution
- America's Finest 2017 Winners Revealed!
- This Independent ECP Keeps It PC (Pro-Community!) Near D.C.