- This will be the first year we’re adjusting our hours in the summer. We’re simply cutting out Saturdays. We find that more often than not, patients tend to no-show on the beautiful summer weekends. Christine Howard, Attleboro Vision Care, Attleboro, MA
- Since I am pregnant and the only doctor at my office, I have had to slow down a bit. We chose to close the office on our slowest day of the week — Wednesdays — until we start to pick up again. Nytarsha Thomas, OD, Visionelle Eyecare, Zionsville, IN
- Scheduling less or more opticians depending on the day of the week/time of year. Between Memorial Day and Labor day we stay open an extra hour for late night traffic. We are in a very touristy area. Amy Petrolis, Trendy Sunglasses, Long Beach, CA
- The OD I work for is particular about “changing.” We are only open 39.5 hours a week, so I’d have a lot of lost hours. Jade Kowalick, Rophie Eye Care, Dunedin, FL
- Patients like knowing when they can depend on us, not the other way around. We’re here for them, busy or not. Blake Hutto, OD, Family Vision Care, Alma, GA
- Consistency. Our hours are posted on the door, and we never have patients wonder why we aren’t here. The doctor may adjust her hours in summer, but staff and optical are here. Jenna Gilbertson, McCulley Optix Gallery, Fargo, ND
- We don’t change our hours, but how I staff does change. Longer days mean busier afternoons and slower weekends as most people want to get out of town. Joselle Stumph, Eyeguys Optical, Spokane, WA
- Retail must have set hours. Summer and winter hours are understandable for an ice cream parlor but for eyewear retail not so much. Bob McBeath, Edina Eye, Edina, MN
- If your practice is slowing down consistently at different times of the year, you probably need to look at areas of opportunity within your own market so you’re busy all year long. Josh Bladh, Dr. Bladh OD Diamond Bar, CA
This article originally appeared in the June 2017 edition of INVISION.
What's the Brain Squad?
If you're the owner or top manager of a U.S. eyecare business serving the public, you're invited to join the INVISION Brain Squad. By taking one five-minute quiz a month, you can get a free t-shirt, be featured prominently in this magazine, and make your voice heard on key issues affecting eyecare professionals. Good deal, right? Sign up here.
Hear What the Industry Thinks About the Ultimate Lens Package by Essilor
Eye care professionals, patients, and Essilor sales consultants shared their feedback on the Ultimate Lens Package. Watch to see why they believe the innovation behind the lens can make the difference for your practice and for your patients. For more information on the Ultimate Lens Package, contact an Essilor Sales Consultant or click here.