The result is a deflationary spiral that isn’t going to end, experts tell CNBC.
Retailers are caught in a “deflationary spiral” that forces them to offer the kind of steep discounts expected during the holidays, agree several experts consulted for a report by CNBC that concludes that the price-wars will continue. This in turn creates the expectation of discounting among shoppers. "Everybody loves a value," said an analyst for PriceWaterhouseCoopers. "How do [retailers] stop? You just can't stop."
The Latest Orbit Headlines
- US Small Businesses Eye Expansion Despite Concerns About Economy
- National Sunglasses Day Is Almost Here
- The Stomach-Churning Truth About Counterfeit Contact Lenses
- Online Eye Tests 'Subvert Care,' AOA Says
- Varsity Healthcare Partners and Harvest Partners Announce Recapitalization of EyeCare Services Partners