New hires, acquisitions point to company’s wearable tech ambitions.
Recent moves by Snapchat may indicate that the video messaging app company is planning a foray into wearable technology, specifically something that could resemble Google Glass, as Mic.com explains. The article cites a TechCrunch report that details Snapchat’s acquisition of a smart eyewear company called Vergence Labs, also mentioning the recent appointments of two people who helped develop virtual reality technology at Microsoft and Qualcomm. "Sophisticated consumer gadgets might make zero sense for Snapchat at the moment, as their current consumer products include a beach towel, a deck of playing cards and a backpack," Lucas Matney wrote at TechCrunch. "Admittedly, for most people, Snapchat in itself makes zero sense, so this could perhaps be very on-brand for them."
The Latest Orbit Headlines
- US Small Businesses Eye Expansion Despite Concerns About Economy
- National Sunglasses Day Is Almost Here
- The Stomach-Churning Truth About Counterfeit Contact Lenses
- Online Eye Tests 'Subvert Care,' AOA Says
- Varsity Healthcare Partners and Harvest Partners Announce Recapitalization of EyeCare Services Partners