The futuristic lenses would link up with your smartphone.
SamMobile has learned that Samsung filed a patent in 2014 for a smart contact lens that would be equipped with a tiny display, a camera, an antenna, and several sensors that detect movement, allowing augmented reality to be projected over the eyes. As Tech Insider explains the concept, “the contact lenses would synch up to your smartphone wirelessly via a small antenna unit embedded in the lenses,” and “motion sensors embedded in the lenses would allow you to control what you see by moving your eye and blinking.” Both articles cite Google’s recently awarded patent for its own smart contact lens, so it seems that each tech giant will have some competition to navigate in this emerging technological space.
The Latest Orbit Headlines
- Q&A: INVISION's Dee Carroll Talks About Eyewear Trends and the Buying Experience
- LVMH and Marcolin Are Planning a Major Deal, Report Says
- Bausch + Lomb Patent Was Violated, Court Finds
- Here's How Small-Business Owners Feel About Repealing Obamacare
- Luxottica-Essilor Deal Solves Key Issue for Founder