Optique Unique puts on a clinic in merchandising.
In a profile of Optique Unique, an eyewear boutique located in Metuchen, NJ, 20/20 Magazine explains how the business has distinguished itself from the nearby LensCrafters, Pearle Vision, Walmart and Costco stores. The article says that before owner Barry Montalto opened the shop, he spent 20 years working for large eyewear chains and private companies. That experience allowed him to see what kind of store environments do and don’t work, which led him and his wife to create a “vibrantly whimsical” environment that contrasts with the contemporary, open-layout designs that are seen in many optical shops today.
“From the start we went out and bought china cabinets to display the glasses,” Montalto told 20/20. “We wanted it to feel like you were in a house. You can go ‘room to room’ and feel a different warmth or vibe from each section you walk into. … I’ve worked in the industry for 30 years, and everything I’ve seen is very bland and white. There are always rows of frames and glass countertops. I wanted to do something different.”
The Latest Orbit Headlines
- Q&A: INVISION's Dee Carroll Talks About Eyewear Trends and the Buying Experience
- LVMH and Marcolin Are Planning a Major Deal, Report Says
- Bausch + Lomb Patent Was Violated, Court Finds
- Here's How Small-Business Owners Feel About Repealing Obamacare
- Luxottica-Essilor Deal Solves Key Issue for Founder