Two ophthalmologists prompt the “whistleblower” suit.
Two Philadelphia-area ophthalmologists have charged Allergan --maker of Restasis, Lumigan and Refresh -- with offering illegal inducements to eye care professionals throughout the U.S., explicitly requesting that the eye doctors and optometrists prescribe Allergan's drugs. The complaint was filed under the “whistleblower” provisions of the False Claims Act, which encourages private citizens to come forward and report fraud. Noted one of the attorneys involved: “It is rare for successful, well-respected physicians to blow the whistle on the health care industry.” Allergan has declined comment on the charges.
The Latest Orbit Headlines
- Q&A: INVISION's Dee Carroll Talks About Eyewear Trends and the Buying Experience
- LVMH and Marcolin Are Planning a Major Deal, Report Says
- Bausch + Lomb Patent Was Violated, Court Finds
- Here's How Small-Business Owners Feel About Repealing Obamacare
- Luxottica-Essilor Deal Solves Key Issue for Founder