Two ophthalmologists prompt the “whistleblower” suit.
Two Philadelphia-area ophthalmologists have charged Allergan --maker of Restasis, Lumigan and Refresh -- with offering illegal inducements to eye care professionals throughout the U.S., explicitly requesting that the eye doctors and optometrists prescribe Allergan's drugs. The complaint was filed under the “whistleblower” provisions of the False Claims Act, which encourages private citizens to come forward and report fraud. Noted one of the attorneys involved: “It is rare for successful, well-respected physicians to blow the whistle on the health care industry.” Allergan has declined comment on the charges.
The Latest Orbit Headlines
- Most Small Businesses Would Have No Idea What to Do If Hacked
- This Works Better Than Patching to Treat Lazy Eye, Scientists Say
- Opticians Association of America to Hold Conference in February
- It’s Way Easier to Get a Small-Business Loan These Days — But There’s a Catch
- Cheap Sunglasses Need Warning Labels, Insurer Says