Two ophthalmologists prompt the “whistleblower” suit.
Two Philadelphia-area ophthalmologists have charged Allergan --maker of Restasis, Lumigan and Refresh -- with offering illegal inducements to eye care professionals throughout the U.S., explicitly requesting that the eye doctors and optometrists prescribe Allergan's drugs. The complaint was filed under the “whistleblower” provisions of the False Claims Act, which encourages private citizens to come forward and report fraud. Noted one of the attorneys involved: “It is rare for successful, well-respected physicians to blow the whistle on the health care industry.” Allergan has declined comment on the charges.
The Latest Orbit Headlines
- Report: Luxottica-Essilor Deal to Get 'Unconditional' Approval in Europe
- Solar Eclipse Burns Crescent Shape Into Woman's Eye
- New Optometry School to Open Within 5 Years, Enroll 70 Students
- Eye Doctor Could Spend Decades in Prison for $100M Medicare Fraud
- Optical Firm to Invest $27M in Distribution Center, Create 223 Jobs