Kids use digital devices more than parents think – and suffer consequences.
Some 80 percent of children surveyed by the American Optometric Association report burning, itching or tired eyes after using digital devices for long periods. Eighty-three percent of children between 10 and 17 years old said they use an electronic device for three or more hours each day. In a separate survey of parents, however, only 40 percent said their children use an electronic device for the same amount of time. Eye care practitioners are concerned that this disparity may lead to parents overlooking the warning signs and symptoms of vision problems due to technology use, such as digital eye strain.
The Latest Orbit Headlines
- Most Small Businesses Would Have No Idea What to Do If Hacked
- This Works Better Than Patching to Treat Lazy Eye, Scientists Say
- Opticians Association of America to Hold Conference in February
- It’s Way Easier to Get a Small-Business Loan These Days — But There’s a Catch
- Cheap Sunglasses Need Warning Labels, Insurer Says