It would be the state's first.
A state senator in North Carolina is seeking $2.1 million to establish an optometry school at the University of North Carolina at Pembroke.
Sen. Danny Britt is sponsoring a bill that would transfer the money to UNC's Board of Governors for fiscal 2017-18, the Robesonian reports.
The optometry school would be North Carolina's first.
Britt is quoted saying the money would "lay the groundwork for what we are going to need in the future and push the idea of an optometry school being started at UNCP."
Robin Cummings, chancellor of UNC at Pembroke, said Britt's effort "is evidence of his desire to see UNCP make an even greater impact in Southeastern North Carolina."
Read more at the Robesonian
The Latest Orbit Headlines
- Report: Luxottica-Essilor Deal to Get 'Unconditional' Approval in Europe
- Solar Eclipse Burns Crescent Shape Into Woman's Eye
- New Optometry School to Open Within 5 Years, Enroll 70 Students
- Eye Doctor Could Spend Decades in Prison for $100M Medicare Fraud
- Optical Firm to Invest $27M in Distribution Center, Create 223 Jobs