Close monitoring is necessary, says the agency.
The FDA is reminding parents that “contact lenses are medical devices, not cosmetics,” and urging that children who wear them be closely monitored by eyecare professionals. “Like any medical device, contact lenses should be used only if they can be used safely and responsibly,” says an agency optometrist. Contact lenses account for about one-fourth of the more than 70,000 childhood injuries and complications from medical devices treated each year in U.S. emergency departments, according to a 2010 study in the journal Pediatrics.
The Latest Orbit Headlines
- 1-800 Contacts to Expand Into Rx Glasses with Acquisition
- Report: Luxottica-Essilor Deal to Get 'Unconditional' Approval in Europe
- Solar Eclipse Burns Crescent Shape Into Woman's Eye
- New Optometry School to Open Within 5 Years, Enroll 70 Students
- Eye Doctor Could Spend Decades in Prison for $100M Medicare Fraud