One tip: Hire from the outside.
Paul Batson, OD, center director of VisionAmerica in Birmingham, AL tells his university interns that seeing patients is the easiest part of practice. Running a business is the difficult part, he says, and the finding the right office manager is key to success. Among his suggestions in the search: Hire from the outside. “While it is possible to have a successful in-house transition, it definitely comes with its challenges,” he says. “Transitioning from coworker to boss can be challenging on many fronts. It is hard for coworkers to recognize the authority shift, and it can be difficult for the new boss to properly manage and not show favoritism. Hiring from the outside can also bring new and fresh ideas to the practice.”
The Latest Orbit Headlines
- CEO Named for LVMH-Marcolin Joint Venture
- Opternative Files Suit Against Warby Parker
- Gymnastics World Champion Shows Just How Cool Eyeglasses Can Be
- Essilor Announces New Achievement on Path to Luxottica Merger
- Time to Boost Eyecare Efforts Amid 'New Era of Blindness and Visual Impairment,' Group Says