80-year-old Joan Didion is the new face of Céline.
Market research has demonstrated that older people, particularly women, particularly women with serious money to spend, respond more favorably to advertisements that show models of their own age. There have been baby steps toward the older crowd among jewelry marketers, but Céline has pushed the bar in announcing that their new “face” is the 80-year-old mug of literary icon Joan Didion. The first ad shows Didion wearing enormous Céline sunglasses that do not quite conceal an ironically raised eyebrow. As noted by Forbes, Didion is part of a group of women of a certain age currently fronting fashion brands, including Joni Mitchell (71) for Yves Saint Laurent and Jessica Lange (64) for Marc Jacobs.
The Latest Orbit Headlines
- Report: Luxottica-Essilor Deal to Get 'Unconditional' Approval in Europe
- Solar Eclipse Burns Crescent Shape Into Woman's Eye
- New Optometry School to Open Within 5 Years, Enroll 70 Students
- Eye Doctor Could Spend Decades in Prison for $100M Medicare Fraud
- Optical Firm to Invest $27M in Distribution Center, Create 223 Jobs