80-year-old Joan Didion is the new face of Céline.
Market research has demonstrated that older people, particularly women, particularly women with serious money to spend, respond more favorably to advertisements that show models of their own age. There have been baby steps toward the older crowd among jewelry marketers, but Céline has pushed the bar in announcing that their new “face” is the 80-year-old mug of literary icon Joan Didion. The first ad shows Didion wearing enormous Céline sunglasses that do not quite conceal an ironically raised eyebrow. As noted by Forbes, Didion is part of a group of women of a certain age currently fronting fashion brands, including Joni Mitchell (71) for Yves Saint Laurent and Jessica Lange (64) for Marc Jacobs.
The Latest Orbit Headlines
- Most Small Businesses Would Have No Idea What to Do If Hacked
- This Works Better Than Patching to Treat Lazy Eye, Scientists Say
- Opticians Association of America to Hold Conference in February
- It’s Way Easier to Get a Small-Business Loan These Days — But There’s a Catch
- Cheap Sunglasses Need Warning Labels, Insurer Says