Heavy-framed “nerd” glasses are known all over the world.
Eyewear brand Moscot – known globally for its heavy-framed “nerd” glasses popular with such non-nerds as Johnny Depp and Kanye West – celebrated its centenary last week on Orchard Street on the Lower East Side of Manhattan. “We were born on Orchard Street and we will die on Orchard Street,” said Dr. Harvey Moscot, the fourth generation heir to the business founded by Hyman Moscot out of a pushcart. Notes a report in The Daily Beast, “Having already expanded twice in New York -- a flagship store in Greenwich Village and an outpost in Brooklyn -- the brand saw its first overseas expansion last year. The location: an up-and-coming neighborhood in Seoul, much like the Lower East Side once was.”
The Latest Orbit Headlines
- Most Small Businesses Would Have No Idea What to Do If Hacked
- This Works Better Than Patching to Treat Lazy Eye, Scientists Say
- Opticians Association of America to Hold Conference in February
- It’s Way Easier to Get a Small-Business Loan These Days — But There’s a Catch
- Cheap Sunglasses Need Warning Labels, Insurer Says