Heavy-framed “nerd” glasses are known all over the world.
Eyewear brand Moscot – known globally for its heavy-framed “nerd” glasses popular with such non-nerds as Johnny Depp and Kanye West – celebrated its centenary last week on Orchard Street on the Lower East Side of Manhattan. “We were born on Orchard Street and we will die on Orchard Street,” said Dr. Harvey Moscot, the fourth generation heir to the business founded by Hyman Moscot out of a pushcart. Notes a report in The Daily Beast, “Having already expanded twice in New York -- a flagship store in Greenwich Village and an outpost in Brooklyn -- the brand saw its first overseas expansion last year. The location: an up-and-coming neighborhood in Seoul, much like the Lower East Side once was.”
The Latest Orbit Headlines
- Q&A: INVISION's Dee Carroll Talks About Eyewear Trends and the Buying Experience
- LVMH and Marcolin Are Planning a Major Deal, Report Says
- Bausch + Lomb Patent Was Violated, Court Finds
- Here's How Small-Business Owners Feel About Repealing Obamacare
- Luxottica-Essilor Deal Solves Key Issue for Founder