Experts expect big changes in the business of eyecare.
Medscape surveys several experts in the field and reports that most expect significant changes in how the eyecare profession does business. In the past decade, the number of residency slots for ophthalmologists has dropped 11 percent, while the US population has grown 11 percent and is also aging. “Faced with a shortage of ophthalmologists, many practices are delegating their healthiest patients to the care of optometrists, leaving ophthalmologists to focus on surgery and specialty care.”
The Latest Orbit Headlines
- 1-800 Contacts to Expand Into Rx Glasses with Acquisition
- Report: Luxottica-Essilor Deal to Get 'Unconditional' Approval in Europe
- Solar Eclipse Burns Crescent Shape Into Woman's Eye
- New Optometry School to Open Within 5 Years, Enroll 70 Students
- Eye Doctor Could Spend Decades in Prison for $100M Medicare Fraud