Her collection is headed for the record books.
Betty Webster of the Hawaiian island of Waimea – ‘Aunt Betty’ to generations of her customers as a waitress and part-time hula dancer in local restaurants – started collecting sunglasses 15 years ago. Five years later, she had more than 500 pair, and thought, why not try to put together the biggest collection on record. With the help of a local art gallery, she is currently photographing and cataloguing some 1,200 pair – closer to 1,300, she says – for submission to the Guinness Book of Records. Her collection is not just for show, however. She wears ‘em all. “I need to match my outfits,’ she explains. “I don’t want people saying, ‘Oh, Aunt Betty seems to be getting senile. She’s wearing purple glasses with orange clothes!’”
The Latest Orbit Headlines
- Yet Another Reason to Make Your Kid Put Down the Smartphone and Go Play Outside
- With This Sculpture, New Eyecare Practice Will Be Impossible to Overlook
- Vision West's Support for Optometry Group Tops $12.4M
- ABB Optical Group Offers Free Scleral Lens Education
- Woman Claims She Was Blinded by Cosmetic Contact Lenses