Summer Shades turns 30 in Martha’s Vineyard.
In Hollywood parlance, Andrew and Sarah Aliberti met cute in 1991. He was the proprietor of a small, six-year-old sunglass shop in Martha’s Vineyard; she was a visitor with a pair of Ray-Bans that needed tightening. “I kept her around for awhile saying, oh, they aren’t quite right yet,” remembers Andrew. “I had a plan.” The couple became friends, and soon after Andrew hired Sarah to work in his store. One thing led to another, and 22 years ago they married. The couple’s Summer Shades is now a four-store, two-state operation, but the Vineyard store is a sentimental favorite. Despite the brutal Cape Cod winters, it’s open year-round. “People who live here don’t have a lot of options in the winter and I think it’s nice that when they come into town we’re open in the off-season,” says Andrew.
The Latest Orbit Headlines
- US Small Businesses Eye Expansion Despite Concerns About Economy
- National Sunglasses Day Is Almost Here
- The Stomach-Churning Truth About Counterfeit Contact Lenses
- Online Eye Tests 'Subvert Care,' AOA Says
- Varsity Healthcare Partners and Harvest Partners Announce Recapitalization of EyeCare Services Partners