Connect with us

Headlines

Glaukos to Acquire Avedro

The deal ‘establishes the cornerstone for Glaukos’ new corneal health franchise.’

mm

Published

on

SAN CLEMENTE, CA — Glaukos Corp. plans to acquire Avedro Inc. in an all-stock deal, the companies announced.

The transaction, which has been approved by the board of directors of both companies, is expected to be completed in the fourth quarter. It is subject to Avedro (Nasdaq: AVDR) stockholder approval along with other customary closing conditions and regulatory approvals.

What’s Really Up with Vision Expo in 2021?
INVISION Podcast

What’s Really Up with Vision Expo in 2021?

Podcast: Talking with the Finest, Hippest of Them All About Why There are No Ball Point Pens in Her Shop
INVISION Podcast

Podcast: Talking with the Finest, Hippest of Them All About Why There are No Ball Point Pens in Her Shop

Licensed or Not, Member or Not, the Opticians Association of America is Here for You [Podcast]
INVISION Podcast

Licensed or Not, Member or Not, the Opticians Association of America is Here for You [Podcast]

Glaukos (NYSE: GKOS) is an ophthalmic medical technology and pharmaceutical company focused on therapies for the treatment of glaucoma, corneal disorders and retinal diseases. Avedro is a hybrid ophthalmic pharmaceutical and medical technology company focused on treating corneal disease and disorders.

The acquisition “combines two complementary, hybrid ophthalmic pharmaceutical and device organizations and establishes the cornerstone for Glaukos’ new corneal health franchise, providing synergistic avenues for potential long-term growth in large, underserved markets,” according to the release.

“Avedro is an ideal fit for Glaukos’ core strengths in creating and disrupting ophthalmic markets with novel therapies that address important unmet clinical needs of practitioners and patients,” said Thomas Burns, Glaukos president and CEO. “Avedro has in place many of the same strategic attributes Glaukos used to pioneer MIGS, including proprietary paradigm-changing solutions, extensive clinical validation, broad reimbursement and first-to-market status. Our combined organizations can possess the essential expertise, scale and reach to maximize these opportunities, drive further commercialization of Avedro’s bio-activated pharmaceuticals and establish another synergistic and durable Glaukos franchise to fuel potential near- and long-term growth and shareholder value.”

Avedro’s platform uses its proprietary bio-activated, single-use Photrexa drug formulations to strengthen corneal tissue and halt progression of keratoconus, a degenerative corneal ectatic disease that affects approximately 1.1 million eyes in the U.S. Conventional treatments address symptoms but the Avedro platform is the first and only FDA-approved therapy that can stop disease progression, according to the release. Avedro estimates the total U.S. opportunity for its keratoconus therapy to be approximately $3 billion.

Advertisement

“Avedro is extremely pleased with the potential to become part of Glaukos, a highly-respected ophthalmic organization with a successful track record forging new markets with disruptive technologies like our keratoconus pharmaceutical therapies,” said Reza Zadno, Avedro president and CEO. “Glaukos already has deep customer relationships with the majority of our target accounts, and a large, seasoned field organization that can unite with our team to accelerate awareness, adoption and utilization of our novel platform. In addition, Glaukos will bring its extensive clinical and regulatory resources to bear to help advance our promising pipeline therapies. I believe this transaction can benefit customers, employees and patients, while creating value for shareholders through ownership in a combined company with the expertise, scale and resources to drive meaningful future growth.”

Under the terms of the merger agreement, for each share of Avedro common stock they own, Avedro shareholders will receive an exchange ratio equivalent of 0.365 shares of Glaukos stock.

The transaction represents a 42% premium for Avedro shareholders, according to the release. Upon closing, Glaukos shareholders are expected to own approximately 85% of the combined company, with Avedro shareholders to own the remaining 15%.

Since launching in 2014, INVISION has won 23 international journalism awards for its publication and website. Contact INVISION's editors at [email protected].

Advertisement

SPONSORED VIDEO

SPONSORED BY ESSILOR

Ray-Ban® Authentic

Introducing the perfect match of Ray-Ban's legendary style and Essilor's Expertise in sight. Click here for more information.

Promoted Headlines

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Subscribe


BULLETINS

Get the most important news and business ideas for eyecare professionals every weekday from INVISION.

Facebook

Most Popular