Imagine you were at a party and someone asked you, “Quick, what are the two things I should know about the eyecare business?” You’d reply …
It’s underutilized! And my next one would be, “Why do you ask?” So that I could generate a much more open discussion. Let’s face it: Two things just isn’t enough! Selina McGee, OD, Precision Vision, Edmond, OK
- Too many insurances to deal with. It can be a lot of fun but will cause a reduction in your bank account as you start your own eyeglass collection. You can never have too many fabulous eyeglasses. Dawn Christman Munoz, North Valley Eye Medical Group, Mission Hills, CA
- A familiar name does not always equate to quality. Eight out of 10 contact lens patients are a pain in the ass. Heather Canady, Visions Optique & Eyecare, Scottsdale, AZ
- 1. Optometrists are a critical part of your overall health team, so much more than just glasses. 2. There are wide differences in quality. You get what you pay for. Ken Boltz, OD, Kenneth D Boltz OD, Dublin, OH
- Optometrists treat eye diseases and we are the most comfortable doctors to visit, no blood and you can keep your clothes on! Texas L. Smith, OD, Dr. Texas L. Smith & Associates, Citrus Heights, CA
- It is a sales business, and the sales are preventative measures for maintaining the health of your eye. Adrian Katschke, WyoVision Associates, Gillette and Sheridan, WY
- Glasses are freaking awesome and we sell freaking awesome glasses! Jim Williams, Eye to Eye Optometry, Mexico, MO
- Luxottica does not own everything! Vision insurance is a farce! Jesse Ellis, Eye Health Vision Center, North Dartmouth, MA
- The public doesn’t value their vision. It is very fashion driven. Chris Cordes, Fischer Laser Eye Center, Marshall, MN
- It is very hard and very fulfilling. I mean, I get to help people see. Ted McElroy, OD, Vision Source Tifton, Tifton, GA
- It’s an exciting business which combines fashion with medicine. Dave Schultz, OD, Urban Optics, San Luis Obispo, CA
- 1. While we do determine your prescription during your exam, we also do a complete eye health evaluation. We want to help you see, but more importantly we want to help you keep your vision healthy! 2. We bill medical and vision plans and need to explain the difference to patients daily (sometimes hourly!) We will help you utilize your benefits to your benefit. Pam Peters, Midwest Eye, Downers Grove, IL
- You get what you pay for; this isn’t the place to save a buck. Independent designers are the best. Paula Hornbeck, Eye Candy & Eye Candy Kids, Delafield, WI
- 1) Nutrition is so important for eye health and not enough doctors are talking to our patients about what to do about it. 2) This is the best time to turn independent — stop feeding the beast. Katie McElvaine, OD, Springfield Family Vision, Springfield, MO
- You hold the power to improve someone’s life tremendously with one prescription pair of eyeglasses. And you need to be up-to-date on current fashion trends. Mitchell Kaufman, Marine Park Family Vision, Brooklyn, NY
This article originally appeared in the April 2018 edition of INVISION.
What's the Brain Squad?
If you're the owner or top manager of a U.S. eyecare business serving the public, you're invited to join the INVISION Brain Squad. By taking one five-minute quiz a month, you can get a free t-shirt, be featured prominently in this magazine, and make your voice heard on key issues affecting eyecare professionals. Good deal, right? Sign up here.
Hear What the Industry Thinks About the Ultimate Lens Package by Essilor
Eye care professionals, patients, and Essilor sales consultants shared their feedback on the Ultimate Lens Package. Watch to see why they believe the innovation behind the lens can make the difference for your practice and for your patients. For more information on the Ultimate Lens Package, contact an Essilor Sales Consultant or click here.