THIS MONTH'S QUESTION: Hold “clearance” sales in your store?
- If a frame company pisses me off and I don’t want to deal with the product anymore I will blow it out. Chani Miller, OD, Park Eye Center, Highland Park, NJ
- We don’t call them clearance sales. We do a spring event to make room for new inventory. The first couple days is 20% off, next few 30% and final three 40%. Also do a Small Business Saturday sale in a one day version and reverse the discounts with 40% being first when we open. Julie Kubsch, Specs Around Town, Bloomington, IL
- Twice a year. I’d rather discount than return. Dario Volante, The Eye Glass Shop, Melrose, MA
- Every once in a while, when a style has s#@t the bed. Rick Rickgauer, Vision Associates, Girard, PA
- We have a Semi-Annual Sample Sale. It helps us make room for new styles from Expo; we see a boost in sales and create excitement about new fashion trends. Leah Johnson, Central Texas Eye Center, San Marcos, TX
- We always have clearance frames; however, few purchase them because there is no warranty. Angie Patteson, OD, Sunset Eye Care, PC, Johnson City, TN
- We bring in specific product for clearance. Generally inexpensive suns we wouldn’t sell otherwise, something we can give away in the right situation as well. Erik Lawrence, Roadrunner Eyecare, Albuquerque, NM
- Stale inventory at half off with the purchase of lenses. If it’s really old, $75 with the purchase of lenses. Cindy Harmon, Sonoma Eyeworks, Santa Rosa, CA
- Every day, last year’s models.Todd Lapointe, VIP EYES, Portland, ME
- We’ve done them in the past and our demographic just doesn’t respond. So, we let them pay full price. Nikki Griffin, EyeStyles Optical and Boutique, Oakdale, MN
- Just don’t like them. Gail Bailey, The Eye Care Clinic, Hill City, MN
- We’ve tried it, and it backfires. They come back to haunt us with warranties. Jenna Gilbertson, McCulley Optix Gallery, Fargo, ND
- Never! Unused product is exchanged within six months for new styles. Amina Ebrahim, OD, D Vision Eyecare, Allen, TX
- We feel it doesn’t fit the “feel” we want to create. We will mark down frames we want to turn or eliminate and point out something great about them saying “we are making room for new options.” Zachary Dirks, OD, St. Peter and Belle Plaine Eyecare Centers, Saint Peter, MN
- We don’t hold clearance sales. If a frame hasn’t moved in six months it’s sent back. Amy Pelak, Proview Eyecare Optometry, Corona, CA
- Clearance “devalues” the goods and services we provide, and puts us in the same category as department stores. Angel Miller, Cynthiana Vision Center, Cynthiana, KY
This article originally appeared in the April 2018 edition of INVISION.
Hear What the Industry Thinks About the Ultimate Lens Package by Essilor
Eye care professionals, patients, and Essilor sales consultants shared their feedback on the Ultimate Lens Package. Watch to see why they believe the innovation behind the lens can make the difference for your practice and for your patients. For more information on the Ultimate Lens Package, contact an Essilor Sales Consultant or click here.