(Press Release) CHICAGO – Prevent Blindness, an eye health and safety organization, has declared May as UV (ultraviolet) Awareness Month to help educate the public on the dangers of UV and the steps one can take to protect vision. UV damage to the eyes can be immediate, such as a corneal sunburn, and cumulative, including cataract and macular degeneration.
According to a new survey by Transitions, millennials are most likely to simply go without sunglasses to combat the change in weather conditions, leaving their eyes exposed to harmful UV rays. And half say they go without shades even when they need them, compared to 38 percent of Gen Xers and 28 percent of Baby Boomers.
Prevent Blindness offers these tips on how to keep your future bright with protection from UV:
- Speak with an eyecare professional to ensure the proper UV eye protection is being used.
- Always wear sunglasses that block 100 percent of UV-A and UV-B rays. (Sunglasses without UV protection may shade the eyes but actually cause the pupils to dilate, allowing in even more harmful rays.)
- Wear sunglasses that block 100 percent of UV-A and UV-B rays in conjunction with a brimmed hat.
- Use wrap-around sunglasses – they do the best job of protecting the eyes and the skin around the eyes.
- Although some contact lenses may offer UV protection, they cannot protect the entire eye and the skin around it.
- Sunglasses, especially for children, should be made of unbreakable polycarbonate for active lifestyles.
- Ask your doctor about prescription medication that may cause increased sensitivity to light. According to AllAboutVision.com, certain medications, such as tetracycline, sulfa drugs, birth control pills, diuretics and tranquilizers, can increase your body's sensitivity to UV and high-energy visible (HEV) radiation.
“When enjoying the outdoors, whether on the water, the sand, on pavement or even in the snow, we need to remember to protect our eyes from harmful UV ray exposure,” says Hugh R. Parry, president and CEO of Prevent Blindness. “By taking the necessary steps today, we can help our healthy vision in the future.”
For more information on the dangers of UV exposure and how to choose the best UV protection, visit www.preventblindness.org or call (800) 331-2020.
Hear What the Industry Thinks About the Ultimate Lens Package by Essilor
Eye care professionals, patients, and Essilor sales consultants shared their feedback on the Ultimate Lens Package. Watch to see why they believe the innovation behind the lens can make the difference for your practice and for your patients. For more information on the Ultimate Lens Package, contact an Essilor Sales Consultant or click here.
INVISIONMAG ON INSTAGRAM
The Latest Orbit Headlines
- 255K Signatures Collected in Effort to Allow Eyecare at Wal-Mart, Other Stores
- Eyewear Startup Lands Investor for 'Futuristic' Modular Collection
- Eye Doctors Receive $236M in Industry Payments
- Collection of Presidential Eyeglasses Brings $31K at Auction
- Eye Health Firm Raises $15M for Alzheimer's Test